The Marqeta EXPENSE solution provides two options for getting cards into the hands of card users — bulk order or individual order.
Under this option, Marqeta ships bulk card orders directly to employers, who then distribute them to employees at their discretion.
You can choose to either associate all cards in the order with a single "inventory" user or to associate each card with a distinct user upon creation.
To set up the cards:
- As needed – Add users to the Marqeta platform (see Create User).
- As needed – Update users on the Marqeta platform to have user details (see Update User).
- As needed – Perform KYC on each user (see KYC Verification).
- Activate cards (see Create Card Transition).
Under this option, card ordering is included in the card-user registration process. The card orders are placed using the Marqeta API, and the cards are mailed either directly to the card user or the employer.
To set up each card:
- Add a user to the Marqeta platform (see Create User).
- As needed – Perform KYC on the user (see KYC Verification).
- Create a card (see Create Card).
- Activate the card upon receipt (Create Card Transition).
Funds are loaded into each user's General Purpose Account (GPA). Funds can be reloaded either manually or automatically when GPA balances drop below a predetermined level.
To fund each user:
- Create a funding source (see Funding Sources).
- Load funds into each user's GPA by creating a GPA Order (see Create GPA Order).
- Optional – Set up automatic funding reloads (see Create Auto Reload).
- As needed – Manually load funds into user GPAs (see Create GPA Order).
- As needed – Move funds from one user's GPA to another (see Create Peer Transfer).
- As needed – Unload excess or unused funds whenever necessary (see Unload GPA Order).