3-D Secure authentication
3-D Secure adds a layer of security, prior to authorization, to help authenticate online transactions. For example, when the merchant initiates 3-D Secure at checkout, the card holder must then enter a one-time passcode received via email or SMS to continue with their purchase.
Note: Ensure the card holder has a valid SMS-enabled phone number or email address on file. By default, one-time passcodes are sent to the card holder via SMS; if a phone number is not available, it is sent through email.
If an online payment is successfully authenticated utilizing 3-D Secure, the merchant is not liable for subsequent fraud-related chargebacks on that transaction.
In the payments ecosystem, authorization occurs after the completion of 3-D Secure authentication. The merchant uses the authentication data captured as part of the 3-D Secure process to submit an authorization for approval. For more on authorization transactions, see About Transactions.
When a card holder attempts to make an online payment to a merchant supporting 3-D Secure, the following process occurs:
- The merchant initiates an authentication request by sending the request to the card network.
- The card network routes the authentication request to the Marqeta platform.
- The Marqeta platform prompts the card holder, via an iFrame exposed in the merchant's checkout experience, to enter a one-time passcode received via SMS or email.
- The Marqeta platform captures the authentication results.
- The Marqeta platform sends an authentication response to both the card network and the merchant; authentication is complete.
On the Marqeta platform, the cardholder_authentication_data object, which may be embedded in the transaction object, stores the authentication data from 3-D Secure. If the transaction is funded through the Just-In-Time (JIT) Funding mechanism, cardholder_authentication_data is contained in the jit_funding object. For a full description of the transaction data contained in the cardholder_authentication_data object, see Transaction Data for JIT Funding Decisions.