Accounting Manager, Revenue Recognition
Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 in 2019, Marqeta powers modern payment solutions for companies innovating new services and process flows in a digital world. Our platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
The Accounting Manager, Revenue Recognition will play an important senior accounting role in day-to-day and month-end close processes and will lead our efforts to ensure revenue is recognized accurately on all of the company’s customer contracts. This role will require a mix of skills when collaborating with Sales on custom contract terms, writing technical memos, determining appropriate recognition on new products, performing complex calculations and analyzing historical results. This role will participate in and influence the entire Order to Cash function while serving as the face of the Accounting team with various functions throughout the company. We are also in the process of implementing ASC 606 so the role will also include evaluating the implications of the guidance, enacting system changes, and educating the organization.
Fast-paced, collaborative, flexible and creative is what we hope you’re looking for.
- Collaborate with Sales, Legal and other stakeholders to structure deals. Provide recommendations for optimal revenue recognition.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to determine the accounting impacts of new product launches and new business models and implement accounting policies/processes to support such initiatives.
- Oversee contract review function and draft technical revenue accounting position papers as needed for nonstandard terms.
- Research and prepare technical revenue accounting policies.
- Assist in the impact assessment and implementation of ASC 606.
- Review and/or prepare month-end and quarter-end close deliverables including account reconciliations, journal entries, order perfection and analysis and reporting.
- Partner with FP&A to analyze revenue trends, variances, and forecast methodology.
- Assist with special projects such as system implementations, M&A activities.
- Prepare various revenue-related analyses including Standalone Selling Price determination.
- Streamline and document order-to-cash processes.
- As Marqeta scales, so will this leader’s job function and responsibilities. This role will have no direct-reports at this time.
- 6+ years of related accounting experience including working through revenue recognition accounting with strong understanding of systems, processes and controls.
- CPA required as is a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related majors. Big 4 preferred.
- Strong technical skills as evidenced by experience evaluating revenue recognition issues and writing memos.
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, presentation, written, email)
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Roll up your sleeves attitude. The ideal candidate will be able to work in the here-and-now while developing a vision of future-state processes.
- Creative problem-solving skills including experience with building solutions and processes.
- Analytical rigor and an orientation toward data-driven management and decision making
- Experience ensuring a high degree of accuracy under deadlines.
- Bonus points for experience in payments or SaaS industries, and/or knowledge of FinTech.
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%.
- Generous Paid Time Off.
- Full paid Parental Leave.
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match.
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation.
- Monthly commuter and parking subsidy.
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks.
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. Marqeta is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.