Senior Software Engineer
Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our open API provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Uber, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Block, to manage payment operations in real-time.
Our team is a mix of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. Marqeta was named a 2022 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, highlighting our company culture and collaborative work environment. We are building a global team as diverse as the markets we serve and we’d love it if you joined us on our mission to change the way money moves.
We’re a remote-first company. You have the choice to work from wherever you’re happiest and most productive, whether that’s from home, a co-working space, or one of our four global offices, depending on your location. It’s uncommon for candidates to match all job requirements, but if you’re not far off, we want to hear from you.
Senior Backend Engineer Summary
Our platform is built by developers for developers.
Marqeta’s platform enables payment authorization decisioning, cardholder data security, instant card issuing, in-app provisioning directly to digital wallets, and real-time funding with our exclusive Just-in-Time (JIT) funding.
Senior Backend engineers develop scalable software that powers Marqeta's backend services. They create and review engineering design documentation, continuously improve our systems, infrastructure and processes with a focus on quality, create features, review each other's code and collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders across the company.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you'll ship products that matter. You'll play an important role in helping Marqeta scale as the leader in Modern Card Issuing. You'll innovate on architecture, write impactful software and spend time mentoring engineers. Learn more about our Product and Engineering team.
You'll get the opportunity to contribute to:
- Developing, managing and maintaining card network transactions at scale
- Creating Digital Wallet Tokens via Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Building out-of-this-world backend experiences for our customers, internal and external
- Getting cards to customers faster
- Managing chargebacks and disputes with Card Networks
- Facilitating money transfer via ACH and through ATM networks
- Applying APRs and fees to Credit customers
- Building a world class 3DS Access Control System
- Iterating and innovating on ways to bring quality backend software from ideation to production faster
What you'll do
- Architect, design and develop projects from end to end
- Apply modern best practices in your designs and implementations
- Make things simple for ourselves and our customers
- Collaborate with other engineers to prioritize and ship features
- Mentor other engineers on the team, and be mentored by others
- Partner with Product Managers to scope and estimate new work
- Participate in on-call coverage
- May focus on DevOps and Infrastructure Engineering and provide expert guidance on operationalizing services and implementations of the cloud infrastructure necessary to meet goals, particularly as it relates to scaling, resilience, and global availability.
What we're looking for
- 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer with a Bachelor’s degree; or 2 years of experience with an advanced degree. In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of relevant experience may suffice.
- Experience building scalable software platforms.
- A strong passion to write code with high quality and test coverage.
- Experience developing in Java and/or Python, however we welcome experience in other programming languages.
- Experience with transactional RDBMS such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, or Oracle. Any experience with scaling large, transactional systems and data sharding would be welcome.
- Experience making technical trade offs and navigating technical complexities.
- Experience troubleshooting production issues.
- The ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization
- The ability to demonstrate humility, empathy, and to take constructive feedback positively.
- A desire to grow in your career, learn, share ideas and help others grow and learn.
- Demonstrated experience working productively on cross-functional teams and taking a collaborative, team oriented approach.
Nice to haves
- Experience with payments or the FinTech space
- Experience with Microservices
- Experience with Java Spring Boot
- Production experience with modern engineering and cloud tools. (We use AWS, but welcome other cloud experience)
- Experience in software delivery pipelines, CI/CD systems, and software deployment and orchestration systems such as Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Contributions to technical blogs, a public Github repo, or to open source projects
- Experience with unit testing / functional testing / integration testing
How we hire Backend Engineers
We are hiring across multiple teams and at all levels.
As you go through our interview experience, we will work to identify the team that best aligns to your skills, experience, and interests.
Our (typical) process:
- You submit your application via the form at the end of this page.
- If qualified, you will be invited to schedule a call with a member of our recruitment team.
- If you pass the screening call, you will be invited to our virtual onsite interview.
- If you pass the virtual interview, we will likely set up a meeting so you can meet the hiring leader(s) for the team(s) we think you are best suited for.
- If successful, we will make an offer - and hopefully we’ll get to work together!
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Employee insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family forming benefits including fertility support and up to 20 weeks Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and a Wellness stipend
- Monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model
- Equity in a publicly-traded company
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
Learn more about Marqeta on our Website, Twitter and LinkedIn.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on any legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Our Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.