Lead Software Engineer, Backend
Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solve challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all the job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
Marqeta’s platform enables payment authorization decisions, cardholder data security, instant card issuing, in-app provisioning directly to digital wallets, and real-time funding with our exclusive Just-in-Time (JIT) funding.
As a Lead Backend Engineer, you'll ship software that matters. You'll play an important role in helping Marqeta scale as the leader in Modern Card Issuing. You'll innovate on architecture, write impactful software and spend time mentoring engineers.
You'll get the opportunity to contribute to:
- Developing, managing and maintaining card network transactions at scale
- Creating Digital Wallet Tokens via Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Building out of this world frontend experiences for our customers, internal and external
- Getting cards to customers faster
- Managing chargebacks and disputes with Card Networks
- Facilitating money transfer via ACH and through ATM networks
- Applying APRs and fees to Credit customers
- Building a world class 3DS Access Control System
- Architect, design and develop large, complex projects.
- Apply modern best practices in your designs and implementations.
- Collaborate with other engineers to prioritize and ship features.
- Mentor junior engineers
- Partner with Product Managers to scope and estimate new work
- Uplift those around you and make Marqeta better through your presence. Mentor other engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction
- We are hiring software engineers with 7+ years of engineering experience
- Experience with transactional RDBMS such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, or Oracle.
- Experience with mentoring other Engineers
- Ability to Influence Manager and teammates with the development strategy
- Strong communication skills - including the ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations
Bonus points for
- Experience with Payments
- Production Experience with modern engineering and cloud tools
- Knowledge of a scripting language
- Having previously worked on transition to a Microservices based architecture
- A technical blog, a public Github repo, or contributions to open source projects
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- $250 Monthly Stipend to cover: Cell phone, internet Connectivity & Commuting (3C)
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.